Tuesday, November 05, 2013

- - Julep | November 2013 Maven Box Review - -

Julep referral link

Hi everyone!

I've been a little bit weakened by a cold, but hopefully I'll be able to get through this Julep review with as few mistakes as possible.

The theme of the November box was "Right at Home".

I continue to be impressed with the quick shipping and the standards of this company.

On October 20th, I received a notification from Julep that their November collection was ready to be reviewed. I had until the 24th to either switch boxes, skip the month, or gift the box to a friend. I chose to switch boxes....


I can't say that I was too impressed with the selections this month, but it was also tough to switch boxes because each one contained either one colour that I wanted or colours that I didn't care too much for. In the end, I decided to go with Boho Glam and add-on Cynthia.

I think this was a really good choice!

Boho Glam: Aisha, Alexandra, and "Charming" lip gloss.
 

Ta-da!

My order was shipped out on October 28th and I received it yesterday (Nov. 4th, 2013).


As a free gift, I got a sample of Julep's Luxe Repair Skin Serum. The reviews seem to be a bit mixed about this product. I haven't tried using it yet, but I will let you know what I think about it once I do. 


The nail polishes:
Left to right: Cynthia, Aisha, and Alexandra.

My favourite aspect of this box was the Cynthia add-on. It was the only thing I liked from the Classic With a Twist box, which I would say is my true style profile. The colour is beautiful, and the picture above is probably the closest I can come to showing you what it looks like in person. 

As you can sort of see, Cynthia has very colourful micro-glitter. The colour reminds me of sand on the beach -- a kind of light brown that is made up of tiny colourful grains. 

You can see the micro-glitter very well if you put only one coat of Cynthia on your nail. However, this isn't enough to cover the nail completely. Unless you wanted to paint Cynthia on top of another base colour, you would need to use two coats for full opacity.

It's a bit tough to explain, but the shimmering of the micro-glitter sort of disappears when you put two coats on. What you are left with is essentially a gold colour that has little specks in it (see pictures below).


Cynthia (left) and Alexandra (right) were a little difficult to capture on camera.

This month, Julep featured lip gloss as complimentary to the nail polish.


L - R: Charming, Daring, Glowing, Posh, Timeless

The one that really caught me eye was Timeless because lately I've been really into pale/nude-coloured lip glosses. Timeless was available with Julep's Lip Primer - not nail polishes - so I figured that I would just get it at a later date (if it is still available).

I really liked Aisha and Alexandra, which came with "Charming" as the lip gloss.

Charming is a sheer mauve colour that isn't too crazy and can be worn every day. It smells of vanilla and has a smooth & non-sticky feel.




Sorry for the goofy face! Hope you can see the colour :)
  
In the following pictures you'll have to excuse me for not being neat in my nail polish application. This was done around midnight, and I was trying to hurry to go to bed. This was only an experiment and I ended up taking off Aisha & Alexandra this same night. Also, part of the reason why the end result ended up being so messy was because I had a tough time applying Aisha to my nails. Maybe it was simply because I had put a base coat on my nails prior to application. In any case, I found Aisha to have a thick consistency.

I was trying to experiment with the French-manicure strips that I have from long ago. I should've made the area for Alexandra slightly smaller & more delicate. Oh, well! Better luck next time :)


Playing around with colour :) Look at that Cynthia (ring finger)!
I can just see Cynthia working out really well for the upcoming holidays. I can't express enough just how much I love the colour!



Just before taking off the Alexandra & Aisha nail polishes.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with Julep and this November box. Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the December box!

Secret Shop
This was the very first month in which I got to see what Julep's secret shop was about. It's actually a pretty amazing perk of being a Julep Maven. Basically, on the 1st of every month Julep opens up a secret shop that is available only for 72 hours and it includes incredible discounts (about 50%) on a limited amount of items. This month, the secret shop featured holiday sets. I didn't end up getting anything because I'm trying to not spend that much, but I imagine this is a great opportunity to shop for gifts.

Alrighty, I feel a bit dizzy, so that's probably a good indication that I should head off to bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for myself as well as for all of you. 

As always, thank you for reading! :)

Referral link.

No comments:

Post a Comment