Tuesday, September 01, 2015

- - Teacup Tuesday | Week 6 - -


Hey friends! Happy 1st of September! Amazing how time flies, no?

Today I'm continuing my series of Teacup Tuesday posts with another collection of loose tea from DAVIDsTEA. This time around the collection is called Old Timey Treats, which is a pretty sweet (Ha! Get it?) name for such a collection.  :)

Let's jump right into it!



The Old Timey Treats collection comes with 5 loose teas and 3 rock sugar sticks. For me rock sugar candy brings up lovely memories of going to the Science Centre. I haven't gone there very many times in my life, but every time I went into their gift shop the rock candies were a prominent feature. When I was on a school trip in 2009 I got a blue rock candy for Andrew, who was only a friend at the time, and he has forever remembered that moment. Yup, I lured him in with candy.
 
Going back to Old Timey Treats, here's a look at the whole collection:



1 || Banana Split | DAVIDsTEA || Rooibos 

Caffeine: none (aka less than 1 mg of caffeine per cup) 
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 96° C/205° F | 4-7 min 
Ingredients: green rooibos, cocoa nibs, rock sugar, banana chips (banana, coconut oil, sugar, natural banana flavour), calendula, meringue powder (corn starch, egg whites, sugar, arabic gum, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, artificial flavours, silicon dioxide) | natural and artificial flavouring

Banana lovers, this tea is for you! Although it has meringue powder to sweeten the scent, this tea is a pretty great blend of chocolate and bananas. And you what else? It's really neat to find actual banana chips in the mix of ingredients! This tea steeps very quickly (a lot quicker than the 4-7 recommended minutes), and I did find that I had to add a spoon of sugar to make the tea sweeter. All in all, a nice tea that's worth trying.

2 || Black Cherry | DAVIDsTEA || Black

Caffeine: medium
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 96° C/205° F | 4-7 min
Ingredients: black tea, papaya (papaya, sugar, calcium chloride, citric acid), sweet blackberry leaves, sour cherries, licorice root | natural cherry flavouring

I've probably mentioned this before, but I am not a fan of cherry flavouring whatsoever. Seriously. I love eating actual cherries, but I strongly dislike anything cherry flavoured (like candies, popsicles, or in this case - tea). So I guess you can say that Black Cherry was not my - wait for it - cup of tea! Hahaha, okay I'm sorry. Anyway, I ended up giving this tea away to a co-worker who was more than happy to take it off my hands.

A word of warning - Black Cherry steeps very quickly. Try not to leave the tea bag in the water too long otherwise no amount of sugar will EVER balance out the bitter taste. Yup, speaking from experience.

3 || Cotton Candy | DAVIDsTEA || Rooibos

Caffeine: none (aka less than 1 mg of caffeine per cup) 
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 96° C/205° F | 4-7 min
Ingredients: green rooibos, sprinkles (sugar, salt, artificial flavoring, red 3, blue 1), mango (mango, sugar, citric acid, sulfur dioxide), brittle (sugar, hazelnuts, invert sugar) | natural and artificial flavouring


I have actually featured Cotton Candy on this blog before - you can find it on a Teacup Tuesday post here. The smell is nice, the flavour is light, and the little candies in the loose tea are pretty delicious. :)

4 || Mango Fruit Punch | DAVIDsTEA || Herbal

Caffeine: none (aka less than 1 mg of caffeine per cup) 
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 96° C/205° F | 4-7 min
Ingredients: Pineapple (pineapple, sugar), mango (mango, sugar), orange peel and slices, tangerine, safflower, marigold, strawberry | artificial flavouring


Out of all the teas in the Old Timey Treats Collection this was my favourite! The tea becomes bright yellow when you steep it in hot water and the flavour is sweet enough that I didn't needed to add any sugar. The scent is absolutely amazing! Check it out next time you're at a DAVIDsTEA location!
 
5 || Shirley Temple | DAVIDsTEA || Herbal

Caffeine: none (aka less than 1 mg of caffeine per cup) 
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 96° C/205° F | 4-7 min
Ingredients (organic): currants, apple, rosehips, hibiscus, pomegranate, orange, elderberries |  natural cherry and orange soda flavouring


Ugh...again with the cherry flavouring. This was another tea that I passed along to a happy co-worker. The cherry scent is faint, but it is definitely there. They cannot trick me by mixing in other ingredients!

I may have had the drink that inspired this tea (Shirley Temple) some time ago, but I clearly haven't had enough of them in my life to tell you whether this tea smells identical to it or not. Have any of you tried both? I would love to know if they are similar!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I better end things off here before I start coming up with more cheesy jokes. If you would like to purchase the Old Timey Treats Collection, you can get it now for 40% off ($15.00 CAD) here.

Have you tried any of the teas above? :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment