Thursday, April 28, 2016

- - Monthly Empties | March 2016 - -

Hey there! It's been a while!

I'm going to start off my super-late April posts with a look back at March and at what products I was able to use up. This will be a lengthy post, so if that's not your thing - please stick around for my next post!

Read on...

I don't think I've ever had this many empties to talk about in one post, so I'm going to break up the products by category. This time I'm also going to experiment with a rating system instead of continually saying "will/will not repurchase." Let me know what you think about it! 

- - Cleansing - -

a || Cotton Pads x 2 | $2.00 for 80 sheets | THEFACESHOP || 
These are pretty much as basic as cotton pads go. The best thing about them is that they are inexpensive, which is great because I go through cotton pads very quickly. THEFACESHOP also has two other types of cotton pads - $5 and $6 ones. I tend to prefer the $5 because they don't fall apart as easily as these $2 ones do, but they are - of course - more expensive.

b || Chia Seed Cleansing Water | $30.00 for 300 mL | THEFACESHOP || 
This is pretty much my favourite product from THEFACESHOP! The bottle has been repackaged and looks a little bit different in stores now than what you see above, but luckily the formula is exactly the same. This is a very gentle makeup remover, but a VERY effective one - quite easily the best facial makeup remover that THEFACESHOP carries. The container has a push-down applicator and all you need are cotton pads (you now realize why I go through them so quickly). The instructions indicate that you don't have to wash the cleansing water off, but I still do and follow up with my face wash. My skin feels really clean and all of my makeup is gone, so it's a win all around!

c || Sparkle Toothy Tabs | $4.95 for 14 g/ 40 tabs | LUSH | 
Toothy tabs are a kind of unconventional stand-in for toothpaste. They come in the form of tablets that you have to crush between your front teeth and then use a wet toothbrush to foam everything up. I tend to prefer the toothy tabs over traditional toothpaste because LUSH products seem to be more natural, they are environmentally-friendly (just recycle the box after you're done), and my teeth feel much cleaner afterwards. There are currently 7 flavours to choose from. Sparkle has grapefruit and black pepper in it. When I first tried this many months ago my mouth was on fire every time I would brush my teeth. The experience isn't like that anymore, so maybe I got used to it? I can't say that my teeth look whiter, but they do feel really clean every time!

d || Coconut Kiss Exfoliating Coffee Body Scrub  | $14.95 for 158 mL | Saje ||  
I got a mini version of this scrub in a Christmas set, which I liked quite a bit. It's interesting to use coffee in a scrub. While I can't say that I could smell the coconut, I could definitely smell the coffee.

e || Almond Shower Oil | $9.00 for 75 mL | L'Occitaine || 
You know, I feel like I have gone through life thinking that I would love this product more than I actually did. Don't get me wrong - I love the smell of the Almond Collection at L'Occitaine - and it's pretty cool to see oil turn into foam instantly when activated with water. Yet...somehow the shower oil must not have worked with my body chemistry because it smelled kind of...off on my body. Oh well, worth a try! 

f || Milky Bath Bubble Bar | $7.95 for 100 g | LUSH || 
You can't actually see what the product is in the photo because LUSH's products are often sold naked (without packaging), but I promise you that this was the Milky Bath Bubble Bar. The way that you use bubble bars is you run them under the water and your bath fills up with bubbles! The Milky Bar smelled nothing of orange or patchouli (which are in the ingredients), but kind of milky/powdery instead. I used this in one go to get rid of it, but I could've broken it up to make it last. I hate to say it, but as fun as these bubble bars are, they are also kind of a waste of money - I can get just as many bubbles by running a cap of shampoo or shower gel under running water as I can with a bubble bar.

g || Konjac Kare Sponge w/ Yam Extract | $9.95 | Saje ||
Konjac sponges are natural sea sponges that are perfect for use with face washes or simply with water. Saje currently has four different types of extracts in their konjac sponges that you can choose from. Honestly? They're all the same to me. The yam extract sponge was on sale, so that's why I bought it. Otherwise, I get my konjac sponges from THEFACESHOP, where they are $5-$6 and slightly bigger than the Saje ones.

h || Rice Water Bright Lip & Eye Remover | $13.00 for 120 mL | THEFACESHOP ||  
The lip and eye areas are typically more sensitive than the rest of the face, so that is why it's better to use makeup removers that are specifically targetted for those areas. The Rice Water makeup remover is pretty awesome all-around. It smells lovely & fresh, is very gentle & makes your skin soft, is great at removing even waterproof makeup, and gently brightens the under eye area with the brightening rice protein. Win win win! 

- - Aveda - -


i || Botanical Kinetics™ Intense Hydrating Rich Creme | $52.00 for 50 mL | Aveda ||
I really liked the herbal scent of this cream! Since I already have a cream that I am devoted to, I used this sample on my legs and they felt pretty soft afterwards. With such a high price tag I may just admire this cream from afar for now. 

j || Tourmaline Charged Exfoliating Cleanser | $43.00 for 150 mL | Aveda ||
This cleanser was okay. Not really a fan of the scent, but interesting to try.

k || Tourmaline Charged Radiant Skin Refiner | $57.00 for 100 mL | Aveda ||
This was an interesting scrub. It had a pasty, clay texture, which was pretty unusual. The scent was okay.
 
l || Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight | $36.50 for 150 mL | Aveda ||
This was an Aveda sample that I tried for the longest time (about half a month or so). The lightweight gel protects your hair from heat and helps to keep your hair straight. Since my hair is already naturally straight (ha ha), I only needed the heat protection. It's always difficult to evaluate how well products like this work, but I guess my hair wasn't as dry when I used it? I don't know. All I can say is I wasn't a fan of how this smelled, so it's a no-go. 

- - Hand Care - -

m || Ultimate Strength Hand Salve | $19.00 for 75 mL | Kiehl's ||
I purchase this cream from time to time. It's not too bad. Moisturizes & softens my hands well and doesn't aggravate my eczema (or whatever it is that shows up on my hands from time to time). The smell is kind of medicinal, but I don't mind it.

n || Shea Mini Hand Cream | $12.00 for 30 mL | L'Occitaine || 
This is a mini version of L'Occitaine's best-selling hand cream. I've tried this before and will most likely get it again in the future. It's very lovely and moisturizing. Smells amazing too!

o || Pack of Mini Nail Files | L'Occitaine || 
I got these cute nail files around Christmas time in a pack that was free with my L'Occitaine purchase. I used these to shape the nails on both hands and that was as long as they lasted.

p || Shea Butter Hand Cream - Soledad Bravi Collection | L'Occitaine || 
This is an even smaller version of L'Occitaine's original shea butter hand cream with an illustration by Soledad Bravi. I think I got this at the same time as the mini nail files. As mentioned above, I love this hand cream! And the small size is a wonderful way to try the product. :)

q || Energising Hand & Nail Cream (Ginger & Lime) | Primavera || 

It was a good thing I finished this hand cream when I did because it was expiring in March. I got this in one of the last few months of the Saffron Rouge Inner Circle subscription. This was a fairly lightweight but very moisturizing hand cream. Smells very strongly like lime and ginger. So far I've only found this hand cream on Amazon - maybe it's an older product?

r || Iris Bleu & Iris Blanc Hand Cream $12.00 for 30 mL | L'Occitain|| 
I've talked about this hand cream before, so I won't go into too much detail here. The scent is powdery and lovely! 

- - Face / Body Care - -

s || Almond Milk Concentrate | $59.00 for 200 mL | L'Occitaine ||
Similar to the shower oil, this was another product that I thought I would like a lot more than I actually did. It smells wonderful and is quite moisturizing, but I hate how when you massage it in the cream pills up instead of absorbing.

t || Clean Face Spot Corrector | $9.00 for 15 mL | THEFACESHOP ||
This is another favourite product of mine from THEFACESHOP. The Spot Corrector is a colourless gel that helps to treat acne. You can use it under makeup, but I typically use it before I go to bed. It works quite well!

 u || Clean Face Spot Clear Intensive Patch | $2.00 for 12 patches | THEFACESHOP ||
If you're not into using a gel to treat acne then you might like these circular patches instead. These remind me of the Polysporin patches, but you have to use them overnight since they are not entirely invisible. There are 12 patches inside a pack - with two different sizes (6 each). The patches are super easy to use and they adhere to the skin very well. My mom even uses these for minor cuts on her hands! 

v || Lait-Crème Concentré | ~$35.00 for 75 mL | Embryolisse ||
Based on the glowing reviews for this product I kind of feel guilty for wasting this sample like I did. I already have a moisturizer that I use religiously, so I used up this cream sample in one shot on my legs. The scent is light and the moisturizing effect is there, but I have no idea what it would be like as a facial moisturizer. 

- - Makeup - -

w || Color Proof Eye Liner in Black | $17.00 for 15 g | THEFACESHOP ||
This is a beautiful black eyeliner. It has the tiniest amount of sparkle, but is a very strong black otherwise. It dries shiny, is smudge/waterproof, and has great lasting power - I can go a full day without having to touch it up. There are 5 colours available! 

x || Lip Kiss Crayon Gloss | Lise Watier ||
I'm actually not sure why I included this product in my empties since it isn't technically "empty." The Lise Watier Lip Kiss crayons seem to be a discontinued product, which I picked up during one of their amazing sales. This is a lip crayon that has a very glossy finish. It's a cool lippie, but I have to toss it because it makes my lips tingle any time I use it, which could be because it's an old product or maybe because it has some sort of plumping effect. Either way this is going in the trash.

----------------------------------------------
Look at that - we got through amost the whole alphabet!

Thank you for reading! 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment