Monday, October 10, 2016

- - A.H.C. Climax Water Pool Cleanser Review - -


You might be thinking right now - what a random thing to have...a pool cleanser.

That's exactly what I thought when I received the A.H.C. Climax Water Pool Cleanser in a Memebox (Global #17) some time ago. It turned out that this item in my box was actually a makeup remover! I'm only now getting around to using it and that's why today I wanted to share with you my thoughts, my experience, and more information about this curious product.

Read further after the jump!


- - Cleansing - -

One of the most important things I've learned as I've became more involved with Korean products in the past two years, is the value of a thorough cleansing routine. You can have the best skincare products in the world, but unless your pores are properly cleansed every day, your skincare products will do only so much for you. The Korean skincare & cleansing systems are pretty extensive, but if I had to boil down the cleansing system specifically to two general steps, there would be:
  1. A makeup-removing step, &
  2. A deep cleansing step 
A makeup remover can take on many forms. You can use products such as: cleansing tissues, cleansing milk, cleansing balm, cleansing cream, a cleansing oil, or a cleansing gel, all to remove your makeup. Even though they're technically only meant for makeup residue removal, you can also use some cleansing foams as makeup removers.

- - A New Type of Makeup Remover - -

"Gum type cleanser that removes make up and skin impurities clearly with soda water and natural origin cleansing ingredients."

What I learned when I received the product I'm reviewing today is that there is another makeup remover and that is something called a "pool cleanser". From what I understand, it's a product that has been popular in Korea, but hasn't really caught on too much elsewhere.


- - How is a Pool Cleanser Different? - -

Think of a pool cleanser as a kind of cleansing gel, which means that the consistency is thicker than - say - a cleansing oil. In fact, as you massage the cleanser in it's supposed to thicken as it mixes with your makeup.


The way to use a pool cleanser is exactly the same as a cleansing oil:
  1. Massage the cleanser on dry skin for about 30 seconds.
  2. Add water and continue massaging (the cleansing oil/gel/pool cleanser will emulsify when in contact with water).
  3. Wipe the cleanser away with a tissue or sponge (I use a natural sea sponge for this step).
  4. Follow up with a cleansing foam. 
The last step is where things are a little different than with other cleansing products. What a pool cleanser claims to be is a one-step product, meaning it cleans your makeup and any residue off so well that you don't need to follow up with any other cleansers.

Swatch: basic lip liner & waterproof eyeliner | only water was used to remove the cleanser.


- - Ingredients - -

One of the things that I like about the A.H.C. Climax Water Pool Cleanser is that it's pretty natural when it comes to its ingredients. In her extensive work on Korean cleansers, Tracy from Fanserviced-B was able to translate the ingredients list found on the back label of the Climax Water Pool Cleanser since its entirely in Korean. I have modified this list slightly to make some of the natural ingredients more clear:

Water, Dipropylene Glycol, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, 1,3-Butylene Glycol, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Glycine Max (Soybean) Seed Extract, Saponaria Offinalis Leaf/Root Extract, Hovenia Dulcis Fruit Extract, Dioscorea Japonica (Yam) Root Extract, Sapindus Mukurossi Fruit Extract, Viola Tricolor Extract, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Extract, Eclipta Prostrata Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Meal Extract, Panicum Miliaceum (Millet) Seed Extract, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Extract, Ginko Biloba Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Japonica (Japanese Camellia) Leaf Extract, Eruca Sativa (Arugula) Leaf Extract, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Sprout Extract, Brassica Oleracea Italica (Broccoli) Sprout Extract, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Leaf Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Soluble Collagen, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Sodium Polyacrylate, Soldium Citrate, Carbonated Water, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol

-----------------------------------------------------

- - Thoughts - -

So far I've finished about 1/3 of this cleanser and I'm pretty happy with it! Despite it being a one-step product I do still follow up with a cleansing foam. But this isn't because I need to - its simply a matter of habit.

Also, I got the impression that the cleanser becomes super thick when mixed with your makeup. I don't really find this to be the case. I've used all kinds of amounts of it (a little goes a long way with this cleanser) and none of them have given me a thicker consistency that some people describe.

I've also read a few reviews about this product before jumping in to writing my own and it seems that when you add water to the pool cleanser it either emulsifies (becomes milky) really well or not at all. My experience is somewhere in the middle. I can see that the pool cleanser emulfies, but its definitely not a whole lot.

In terms of scent, the A.H.C. pool cleanser smells like green tea - light and very fresh!


Have you used a pool cleanser for your makeup before?

Thank you for reading! 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment