Wednesday, April 02, 2014

- - ModCloth | Stylish Surprise Shoes Review | March 2014 - -


Happy Wednesday!

About a week and a half ago I took advantage of the Stylish Surprises that ModCloth was selling. At the time there were three boxes available: apparel ($10), shoes ($10), and accessories ($5). By purchasing any of these, you would get a mystery item that was valued anywhere from $29.99 to $299.99 (the promised value for shoes was $29.99 - $199.99).

Read more about the Stylish Surprise after the jump...


 

Over the past couples of years, I've purchased about 4 Stylish Surprises and I have had luck only once. It seems that ModCloth uses this opportunity to get rid of their old stock, which, depending on how you look at it, can be good or bad.

As with any kind of mystery box - you don't know what you're getting ahead of time. It becomes especially difficult with clothing because the sizing often varies depending not only on the site you order from, but also on the unique style of every piece of clothing out there. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's hard enough trying to figure out your sizing based on a known item, let alone a mystery item. This is why I don't think I'll be going for the Apparel Stylish Surprises anymore. 

Instead, since I seem to be a solid size 7 in shoes, I decided to go for the Shoes Stylish Surprise.



I figure that it's worth a shot for $10 (+ $6.55 (US) shipping fee for me).

The shipping took just over a week and the box that came in was pretty big, so I figured I was probably getting boots, which was kind of neat!

 
 

What I received:


Women's 'Frontline' Synthetic Green Boots (Not Rated)



Here's a photo using flash:


 

The boot colour is a cross between brown and muted green.

Boot features:



Overall, I'm content with these boots. Because they are wide calf boots, I initially thought that they were way too big for me. In some ways, they still are. When I wear them there's a lot of room up at the top, but this is the style and although I've never tried it before, I will embrace it. In any case even if I didn't like the boots I wouldn't be able to return them since they are final sale.

In terms of sizing, these are great! As I briefly mentioned above, I'm a solid size 7 across the board.

In terms of quality, I can't say that these are stellar. The fabric around the zipper is very vulnerable, so I have to be really careful not to snag it.

It'll still take some experimenting and styling, but I can see these boots becoming a staple in my closet. I'm thinking that because the boots are long and wide at the top, I'll have to wear either skinny jeans or leggings with them and they will probably work only with shorter jackets. Maybe I'll also try them out with knee high socks?

I was able to find these boots online (not on ModCloth though). According to Overstock.com, they retail for about $58 CAD, which would be roughly $52 US right now. Not bad, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ModCloth has Stylish Surprises several times a year, so if you missed this one just keep your eyes peeled for another one. Stylish Surprises sell out pretty quickly, so I would recommend either checking out ModCloth's facebook page from time to time or signing up for their newsletter. I'll also let you know if another Stylish Surprise comes up!

If you are new to ModCloth and have any questions at all, please feel free to get in touch with me and I'll try to help you out! :)

Were you able to snag a Stylish Surprise this time around? I'd love to know what you got!

Thank you for reading! -A.~

No comments:

Post a Comment