Wednesday, January 07, 2015

- - Beauty Box 5 | "Merry & Bright" | December 2014 Review - -



For anyone who is (like me) celebrating the Orthodox Christmas today, I wish you a very Merry Christmas! C Pождеством! For everyone else - I hope you are having a pleasant Wednesday evening! :)

Today I want to show you guys the December Beauty Box 5 box. It's crazy how long ago I put up my last BB5 review! This year I'm going to make sure that I don't fall behind again.

Let's continue after the jump...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
What is Beauty Box 5? 
BB5 is a subscription-based beauty sampling service that delivers 5 deluxe samples & full-sized products to you every month.
 
Frequency: monthly  
Subscription Plans:
     Monthly = $12
     Quarterly = $10/month
     Annual = $8.25/month 
Ships to: lower 48 United States and Canada
Shipping Cost: Free for US residents | $4.00 for Canadians  (USPS / Canada Post) 
Shipping Date: 8th of every month

(A kind thank you to anyone who would like to use my referral link when signing up.) 


Previous BB5 reviews:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
First look inside - looks great!
 
The first thing you always see when opening BB5 is the product card with a brief description of the theme for the month on one side and a detailed look and explanation of the products on the other.


The theme for the December box was Merry & Bright:

Happy Spa-lidays from BB5 to you! With the hustle and bustle of the season, it's easy to put yourself on the back burner, but sometimes a 15 minute indulgence is all it takes to lift your spirits. Why should Santa have all the fun? Here's some goodies you can unwrap before the 25th to brighten up your complexion all December long.

So what products does BB5 think I can indulge in to lift my spirits? Let's take a look!

*Please note that all of the prices are in U.S. dollars.*

1 | Cocoa Buttercream Frosting Hand Cream (Jaqua)
      (Travel size: $12.50 for 59 mL/2 oz)
      (Link to product)
 

I love getting hand creams in boxes! It's actually quite a problem and I definitely have to start going through all the ones I already have. I did, however, open up this hand cream to try it out.

First off - I love that this hand cream had a seal. However, the downside was that the film from the seal got stuck to the tube so I couldn't actually open up the hand cream for a few minutes as I struggled to tear the film off. Finally I somehow poked a hole in the film and the cream started coming out.

Ugh...I do not like how this smells at all. Before I got it open, it seemed like the fragrance was similar to Play-Doh, which would've been totally okay.  Imagine the smell of Plah-Doh and something indistinguishable but definitely chemical mixed in. Yeah, doesn't sound too pleasant, does it?

The note at the back was TOTALLY misleading. No way would I ever even consider eating this hand cream...which I guess is good.


I always laugh when I see things like "smells good enough to eat, but please don't" written on products, but then I remember that behind each reminder is probably a ton of incidents... 

2 | Absolute Nail Polish Remover Pads in Peach (Nicka K New York)
      (FULL SIZE: $2.99 for 32 pads)
      (Link to product)
 


I haven't done my nails in a while, so I actually haven't opened these up yet. I have no idea how they smell or how well they work, but I'm excited that the scent is supposed to be peach. I also really like that the pads come in a sealable container as opposed to a disposable packet. I don't have 32 fingers, so I would like to use the pads a few times without them drying up. Finally, I've never tried an acetone-free nail polish remover before, so I happy that I get to try one out now! Brownie points all around. :) 

3 | Stem Cellular Moisturizer (Juice Beauty)
      (Sample size:
~$10 for 7.8 mL/0.26 oz | Full size: $65.00 for 1.7 oz)
      (Link to product)



I was browsing the product page for this moisturizer and wow - there is an overwhelming amount of positive reviews. So...what's so special? Well, this moisturizer basically promises to rejuvenate the skin. It's supposed to help with: diminishing fine lines and wrinkles, improving skin density, brightening, nourishing, and hydrating the skin. Also, many of the positive reviews come from people with sensitive skin, so it's nice to know that this product is gentle.

What I think makes everything better is the fragrance - think of lemons and lemonade. Now THIS is a product I would consider eating! (I'm just kidding...please don't eat moisturizers or any other product that smells good.)

I'm still debating whether to give this to my mom or to just use it myself. I tried a bit of my arm and the lightweight cream absorbed well fairly quickly and the spot I tried it on feels really soft and nice. 

4 | Nail Polish in Big Hit (Nanacoco)
      (FULL SIZE: $3.50 for 0.5 oz)
      (Link to product)


Nail polish is always welcome! Big Hit has a clear base and is full of blue, green, red, and silver hexagonal glitter of various sizes.


It would definitely work best as a top coat and from the swatches I've seen I think that some sort of variation of purple would probably be the best base polish. However, I'm sure there are other combinations to play around with as well if you don't want to do purple.

Not the best photo - I'm sorry!

5 | Lucky Number 6 Fragrance (Lucky Brand)
      (Sample size: $0.99 | Full size: $8.99 - $60.00)
      (Link to product)


What I really love getting in boxes - even more so than hand creams - are fragrance samples!


I really like this Lucky Number 6 perfume because the scent is something different than the strong sweet perfumes I've been finding everywhere. Lucky Number 6 has a blend of lotus, tiger lily, cashmere woods, and jasmine. It smells a bit like something my grandmother would wear, but in a good way if you know what I mean.

As a last note, I love the note above! I can just imagine my grandmother reading this and thinking: "oooh!" Haha, I'll leave things off there. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 || Total Value: $29.98 (US) ||
  
This box was an overall win for me. I can see me getting use out of everything in this box, which is the whole point - to try out new products. The scent of the hand cream is probably the only thing I don't like about this collection of items, but even that I can work with.

What did you guys get in your boxes?
Don't subscribe to Beauty Box 5? If you would like to subscribe using my referral link, you can do that here. Thank you kindly, in advance!

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment