Tuesday, June 02, 2020

- - Lush | "Outback Mate" Soap Review - -


A couple of weeks ago, I was a little shy of the $40 free shipping threshold on Lush's website. Without wanting to spend too much to get there, I decided to pick up a soap called Outback Mate for $6.95 CAD. I'm a big fan of soaps but I've never actually tried any of the ones from Lush, so this was exciting!


Shipping didn't take long at all and when I opened up my package, the first thing I noticed was the size of the soap. It was a little smaller than I expected, but that's okay - there was still a lot of soap to use so it wasn't a huge dealbreaker.

The next thing I noticed was that the design was kind of bland and not as colourful or as intricate as what I had seen on the website. Again, as long as the soap does its job, who cares what it looks like, right?


The soap was a little soft and when I smelled it inside the plastic packaging it reminded me of Lush's Whoosh, which smells like a citrus dream. As I opened up the packaging and prepared to love Outback Mate even more, I realized that something smelled off.  And then I thought - oh no...is that....lemongrass??

As an aside - I've had a chance to purchase a lot of fragrance oils last year in the process of learning how to create soap. One thing that I learned about myself is that I absolutely hate the smell of lemongrass...I just can't stand it. So by mistake I totally missed seeing this ingredient in the description of Outback Mate. It would be okay if the lemongrass scent was mild but in this case it's so strong that it overpowers the eucalyptus and peppermint.


Okay, so I figured this was just a minor setback and maybe this soap will redeem itself with its lather and moisturizing properties. Oh dear...it really didn't.

As I started washing my hands with Outback Mate, yes, it did lather a bit but it was like all of the blue dye was washing off the soap and onto my hands! Luckily, from what I could see, the dye didn't stain my hands or my sink but maybe it would have if I didn't wash it off right away.


Oh, and this soap also dried out my hands like crazy.

It's been a while since I've tried a product that was such a miss. In any case, I'll give Outback Mate another chance but if my experience is the same, off to someone else this soap will go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever tried Outback Mate?
Let me know in the comments below!

Thank you for reading! 💙

No comments:

Post a Comment