Tuesday, May 19, 2020

- - Fujifilm | Instax Mini Film Review : Chinese Festival - -


Sometimes when you spend long enough flipping through the pages of AliExpress you can find some really unique items. That's what happened to me one day when I stumbled across an Instax mini film that I had never seen before. The film above was such a rare find that last year when I purchased it there was only one seller selling it. As of right now, I see three sellers (one, two, three) with this film on AliExpress.

I can't find an official name for this film pack anywhere, but one of the sellers I linked above refers to this film as "Chinese Festival" so I figure that's what I will call it too.


The Chinese Festival Instax is available in two formats - you can buy one pack of 10 sheets OR you can buy a box with 3 packs inside (i.e. 30 sheets in total). The seller I purchased it from only had the box option.


Having 3 packs of the same kind of film is actually really useful because I was able to gift one of the packs.


Unlike Instax mini films (for example Bloom) that have 5 different patterns that simply repeat twice, the Chinese Festival film pack features 10 uniquely elegant patterns. Every time you take a photo, it's a surprise what frame you'll get!

I can't show you all of the different patterns because I've given away many of my Instax photos, but I do have most of the frames:


I took one pack of the Chinese Festival mini film on a visit to a university I used to go to. The day was very sunny, which is why most of the photos above look white. Even at a setting ("very sunny") that stops much of the sunlight from entering the lens, some days are just way too bright - especially when there's still snow on the ground which reflects the light. 😅

The photo in the bottom left corner (above) was a failed attempt at capturing a view of the university library (even at the right light setting). In this case, there was not enough light. Sometimes, you just can't win - alas, that's the nature of instant photography!


The most important thing with instant photography (other than being knowledgeable about your camera) is to not be afraid to take risks - after all, that's how you learn. 😊


The last thing I wanted to mention before letting you go is that even though some of the frames have enough space to write tiny notes or a date, I decided not to. I figure it's better to just leave the beautiful frames as they are and write everything on the back. 😉

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Whould you ever use this film?
Let me know in the comments below!

Thank you for reading! 💗

No comments:

Post a Comment