Tuesday, May 26, 2020

- - Oceane | White Pearl Facial Peeling Gel - -

Happy Tuesday!

I haven't written anything about skincare in a while so I figured a good place to start would be with a product that helped improve my skin during this quarantine. I'm pretty diligent when it comes to face scrubs - I make sure to use one at least once a week. However, I typically prefer to use a stronger, gritty scrub rather than a peeling gel.

Why? Well, it's mostly because I had a horror story with a peeling gel once. 😅


Many years ago, I tried The Face Shop's Papaya Peeling Gel. This is a product that is supposed to be great for sensitive skin; it's always been highly praised and it's TFS' best-selling product. Well guess what? It got stuck to my face as I was applying it! It was so painful to remove the globs of it from my skin that this experience basically ruined my relationship with peeling gels.



Plus, I've always felt that peeling gels were kind of gimmicky - there's no way that something that's advertized as "gentle" can remove your dead skin cells in visible clumps.


Being better informed about peeling gels now (because of articles like this), I feel like I'm in a better position to write this post. So before I actually get to the heart of this review, I wanted to take a few moments to briefly talk about peeling gels and how they work:

Peeling gels most commonly use ingredients such as cellulose and carbomer, which react with skin oils to create soft clumps of product. These clumps are actually what is doing the exfoliating - so peeling gels are actually manual/physical scrubs! The reason why they're effective is because they gently buff off any dead skin cells that are about to come off, and the soft fibers in these clumps clean the pores more thoroughly.


I was initially reluctant to try Oceane's White Pearl Peeling Gel because of that Papaya Peeling experience (*shudder*), but Oceane's product pleasantly redeemed peeling gels for me. The gel has a bit of a heavier texture and the trick is to only use a little bit at a time. The more gel you use, the longer it will take for the product to clump.

Oceane's gel uses carbomer, marine plant stem cells, aloe, pearl powder, and other herbal ingredients to exfoliate, soothe, and even out the skin. It's meant to be used on clean and dry skin - no more than twice a week.

The gel comes in a heavy glass container, which can really do some damage if you drop it on your hardwood flooring!


I'm actually pretty impressed at how well my skin has been reacting to this peeling gel. My skin is normal to dry, sensitive, and although it's generally not that bad, I do suffer from occassional acne and blemishes. The White Pearl Peeling Gel really helped to clear up my skin! It helped to decrease the blemishes on my face so now my skin has less redness and is more even.



This product does carry a bit of a hefty price tag - the person who (unexpectedly) purchased this for me got it for $80 CAD at a local mall. I do see that it's available for $39.95 on Amazon right now. There is a cheaper alternative - The Face Shop has a While Jewel Peeling Gel for just $15. A lot of people love it, but I stay away because its formula still has parabens.

Time will tell if I'll go back to Oceane's White Pearl Peeling Gel once I finish using it. The real test will be once the quarantine is over and I start wearing makeup. Then I'll see if my skin starts acting up and if this peeling gel can calm it back down. I'll make updates to this post if I notice anything worth mentioning!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever tried peeling gels?
Let me know in the comments below!

Thank you for reading! 💙

No comments:

Post a Comment