Friday, May 29, 2020

- - Inkbox | "Yu Yi" Tattoo Review - -


Just between you and me (and my mom who's probably reading this - hi mom!), I have always wanted a tattoo. I find tattoos fascinating and I admire people who are brave enough to get them. For me, I think the reason why I haven't gotten a tattoo is because there is nothing that has so much significance for me right now that I would permanently want it on my body. That and my parents would probably disown me.

Luckily, there is a less scary, semi-permanent way to "try out" a tattoo!


I'll be very honest here - I started this review a few years ago which is when I first tried an Inkbox tattoo. Inkbox is a Toronto-based company that was generating a lot of buzz in 2017 (it still is!). At the time, I ordered one of their products, took photos of what I received, and jotted down some thoughts.

As the years started passing, I wondered if my experience was still relevant enough to make this post. Luckily, last year I received another Inkbox tattoo as a gift (which I have yet to use) and I saw that all of the equipment was pretty much the same. That gave me some confidence and I figured that maybe there is still a place for this post on the internet. If there is anything inaccurate about this review, please let me know either in the comments below or by directly reaching out to me.



So let's get to it - what is special about Inkbox?

Inkbox's semi-permanent tattoos are made from a plant that has been used by tribes in South America for thousands of years. The tattoo ink sinks into the top layer of your skin and reacts with your skin chemistry (over 24 hours) to produce a tattoo of a dark blue/black colour. Inkbox is meant to give you the look of a real tattoo that lasts anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks.

Inkbox has a whole catalog of tattoos to choose from and - if you're feeling adventurous and/or are really good at drawing - there are bottles of freehand ink available as well. The ready-made design that spoke to me was "Yu Yi" and I loved the placement of it in the photo:

Source: Inkbox

When you purchase an Inkbox tattoo you get everything that you need to apply it: the tattoo, the inkstructions (haha), gloves, a pre-moistened cloth, and an alcohol wipe:

The instruction booklet that I received in the package you see here is the biggest thing to change from what you would get if you ordered a tattoo today. This is the booklet I received back in 2017:

So much text on the page was overwhelming and slightly confusing. I ended up just watching the video on the Inkbox website to see how to apply the tattoo. The instructions that you get in tattoo packages now are a lot more concise and user-friendly!

There are many factors that influence how long your tattoo will last. Because of the placement I chose for my tattoo (where shirt collars easily brush against the skin), my tattoo lasted about 9 days.

So is it worth it?

Well, it depends on what you're looking to get out of this experience. Most Inkbox tattoos seem to fall within the $20-$29 CAD range (not including shipping), so for something that doesn't last too long that may seem a little steep. However, if you're seriously thinking of getting a permanent tattoo in the future, Inkbox is a good opportunity to try out different designs and placements.

Even if you're not necessarily considering a permanent tattoo in the future, an Inkbox tattoo would be fun to get for a special occasion (whenever those start happening again).

For me, I just wanted to feel cool for a few days - and I did! 😛

I work in a place where I see many people and I got quite a lot of compliments on my Inkbox tattoo. The best compliment was that this looked like a real tattoo!

If you'd like to learn more about Inkbox, you can check out their website by clicking here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you ever try an Inkbox tattoo?
Let me know in the comments below!

Thank you for reading! 💜

No comments:

Post a Comment